Languages

Tuesday 29 March 2022

Ask and it shall be given...

 We recently shared about our new group for young adults....Here is a recap - 

In the Rock House we have "groups" for children aged between 6 and 12, then we have groups for teenagers - a boys group and girls group separated but both from the age of 13 to 17 years old. Unfortunately once they turn 18 we don't have any specific groups apart from the ladies water aerobics for over 40's... we have noticed that our "kids" are growing up. Nico arrived in the Rock House 8 years ago, so when you think about some of those little 10 year olds that came to the kids groups, today there is no group for them. They started questioning, 'Why isn't there a group for us?' 

Ask and it shall be given....Since they started asking we started praying and it weighed heavy on our hearts to do something for this age group... but during COVID it wasn't possible and then we travelled for nearly 6 months.... but now we are back we prayed some more and Nico and I agreed that it was for us to start something with this age group especially as we have contact with many youth this age!

A message from one youth confirmed our decision: "I was telling a friend last week how much I miss the project. When I was a kid I was there all the time and then there was nothing. I actually wanted to ask you why and now I got the news that this group for young adults will start! I'm so thankful. I work for myself so you can count on me on Friday, I'll make myself free to come! Grateful!"

Last week we had our first group on Friday night at 8pm.... we invited about 20 youth, and 15 confirmed they would come! We got very excited as we didn't expect that many. We ordered pizza's and coke to 'start with a blast!' Then on the Friday afternoon we started to receive some messages.... 

"I'm sorry I can't make it, my girlfriend is sick and I have to take her to the hospital."

"I'm sorry I can't come I have bills to pay and a baby on the way I really need to take a shift at work."

"I'm sorry I have just had a huge fight with my girlfriend we are in no condition to come to the group!"

In the end 5 turned up! We were a little disappointed but were happy to see the respect of many of the youth to write and let us know! And the 5 that came were great fun! We chatted, laughed, and ate A LOT of pizza!!!! I shared a word with them about the Rich Young Ruler who went away disappointed that he wouldn't go to heaven, why? Because he was rich? No! Because he wasn't willing to put God first above all else! We talked and shared about what 'gets in the way' of putting God first. We were surprised by the openness of the majority of the group! It was a great time together. 

We have decided to do the group every other week to begin with to see how it goes and to not be too much for Nico and I with the kids etc. The youth wanted every week! We will see for the future! But for now we are already planning our group for this Friday... the majority of the group asked for time in the pool!! So a night swim it will be... of course with a good snack and most importantly sharing God's word with these precious youth!!


Please do pray for them. There are so many temptations for them at this age and not so many choosing to put God first in their lives. Pray that each time we meet the Spirit will move and we will see extraordinary things happening among this age group!

No comments:

Post a Comment