Languages

Saturday 3 August 2013

How does a missionary girl spend her birthday??

Hey all... so 29th of July passed again, and it was my birthday, again!!! At least this year it wasn't my 30th again!!! But I had a very special day for my birthday. I was greeted in the morning by my roommate singing happy birthday, then greeted by other staff members singing again... all before 8am!

In our daily time of 
intercession set aside to start the day my co-workers prayed for me which was very touching.

We climbed in the kombi with bread, coffee and CAKE!!! And I brought some special treats from home that I had secretly stored away for a special day - chewits, dairy milk buttons etc. We arrived on the streets and began to wake up the kids sleeping there.... I was slightly louder and slightly more excitable than my co-workers shouting "Acorde! Acorde!... hoje é meu aniversário!!!" (Wake up, wake up! It's my birthday today!!!)


The kids gradually stretched, rolled over and eventually sat up... waiting...knowing I would have cake!! heehee

We decided to sit in sun and have a 'breakfast' picnic on a blanket!! It was a really special time as two of the boys prayed for me and they all sang 'Parabéns' (Happy Birthday Brazilian style). Then we had a nice time hanging out, eating and singing!!
I had sneaky dessert called açai with Helen... before lunch!!!
After a quick lunch back home, I had a great skype date with my family.... they sang.. four times to me, They had a cupcake with a candle that I had to blow out (with the help of my sister!) all the while sharing around a 'birthday cake hat!!' I also opened my presents with them that they had sent.
Even Granny had the hat on!!!
you can just about see the candle on the cupcake in the bottom of this one!!

In the afternoon we went to visit a teenage boy in prison (detention centre) and then we went to Dorton's family with a cake.... to celebrate together... unfortunately, as is the reality of our work, the families forget when we mark with them and so there was noone home. After leaving a note, Helen and I sat in the kombi... eating the yummy chocolate cake that Jessica had made!!!

When I returned home I was able to have another skype date with my sister Debz and her husband... they both sang to me and gave me an 'air hug'!!!

Monday evenings is bible study night with a fantastic group of english speaking girls! We are studying 'Breaking Free' by Beth Moore. A co-worker and his wife very kindly made an enormous carrot cake.. at my request, which I the took with me to the bible study. It was great to share tea and cake with these lovely ladies. 

God is so good and I can say that he was so good to me on my birthday, I had a wonderful day. Thank you for the many emails and facebook messages sent to me wishing a Happy Birthday.


The cake is so huge we had to put it on the chair!!! It was sooo yummy.. thanks João e Lydia

No comments:

Post a Comment